31 January 2009

Museli

Yes, I know this stuff has a bad rap but keep in mind, enterprising business people have tried to to take a cheap, simple breakfast and double its price by putting it in a box. I am convinced granola and museli are two breakfast cereals that can only be properly made from scratch at home. Otherwise, they take on the taste of cardboard.

In any case, my mix consists of the following:

6 cups rolled oats (old fashioned please, not quick)
2 cups each any or all of the following rolled wheat, barley, rye, or spelt
2 cups dried fruit
1 cup nuts

Put it all in a big jar and shake it up.

To serve, start the night before. For each adult, soak 1/2 cup of the dry mix in 1 cup of water. In the morning, spoon into bowls and top with fresh fruit and/or veggies. (The program I saw this on suggested topping with apples and carrots.)

For 12 cups worth of dry mix, I spent all of $8 and this jar will feed the two adults and one baby in this house at least 12 breakfasts. A half cup of soaked grains is a really big serving so I may cut down the serving size a bit and add some toast or an egg on the side.

No comments: