01 January 2009

Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds

Since late fall, I've been collecting seed catalogues, with plans to grow a balcony vegetable bonanza this upcoming summer.  I just got my latest catalogue this week and I literally cannot put it down.  I've put in my order but I still flip through the thing at least twice a day.

This is Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds.  It's an *incredible* catalogue.  They have heirloom varieties from all over the world, and I mean that in the most literal sense of the phrase.  They have varieties that aren't even being grown in their native countries any more!  And even if heirloom, rare garden species aren't your thing, this catalogue is well worth getting (it's free) for the photographs alone.  The owner of Baker Creek is also a stunningly competent amateur photographer and his work is liberally sprinkled throughout the pages.

I don't agree with their politics but I'm also not a huge fan of modern hybrid garden seed.  I'm very thankful for companies like Baker Creek who are keeping non hybrid seed in circulation.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice blog, enjoyed your recipes for furniture polish and after shave, and thanks for the heads up on heirloom seeds!

Since you're looking at yurts, you might enjoy my site www.yurtinfo.org.

Keep up the great blogging work, and Happy New Year!

becky kemery
Author of "YURTS: Living in the Round"
www.yurtinfo.org
www.livingintheround.net